This area was traversed by the Spanish explorer,
Hernando De Soto, in mid 1541.
His army was attacked near the Ohio River by Indians of a tribe or tribes called
variously the Kashinampo, the Quizqui, and the Chisca.
A number of Spottsville chimneys
toppled during the earthquake
of October 31, 1895.
From 1904 to 1911 as many as 116 men of the Green River Coal Company
mined coal in Spottsville. Then the Pittsburg Coal Company operated a 75-man
coal camp in Spottsville from 1911 to 1924.
In 1920, students of the Spottsville school rode in Henderson County's first school bus.
On December 18, 1931 the bridge across the Green River was opened.
The first Spottsville school burned down in March of 1932.